Developer focus for Fedora workstation

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 09:01:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Adam Batkin <adam at batkin.net> wrote:
> Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch Langdon's video, but I watched
> Christian's talk and read Langdon's the slides. I actually spoke with
> Langdon at OSCON where he accurately described me as a "developer on Linux"
> which is [usually] distinctly different from a "Linux developer".
>
> To me, the biggest thing that I would like to see, is Gnome to be more
> comfortable for a developer (that's why we're all here, right?). Developers
> often spend a lot of time with their hands on the keyboard (as opposed to
> the mouse) and are already comfortable installing packages, etc... I'm sure
> Gnome is great for general computing users (though we can debate that too)
> and maybe touchscreen users like it, but I find it maddening. I just built a
> new PC though, and for the first time in a long time I'm forcing myself to
> use Gnome instead of XFCE (I tried KDE as recently as a few months ago and
> found it to still be unstable and have really weird theme/UI interactions).

GNOME works really well with a keyboard only. You can start and switch
apps very easily with the keyboard
"super + typepartofname + enter" ...

And no you do *not* need a touchscreen for anything. Repeating that
does not make it true.

> But there are a bunch of other "polish" things that I think also need to be
> fixed. For example:
> * There are at least half a dozen Gnome Bugzillas that I've come across
> around focus and window stacking issues - and I think I've encountered every
> one of them. This is maddening. For someone who uses the keyboard as much as
> possible, this makes the system almost unusable

What are those focus and stacking issues? You have to name them
otherwise we can't discuss / solve them.

> * The default theme makes it difficult to easily distinguish the Focused
> window from all other windows - again, maddening when you have lots of
> windows spread across multiple very high resolution monitors. Especially
> with all the window focus/stacking issues

Really? At least for gtk3 apps the whole unfocsued window dims
("backdrop") which makes it very cleary shown as unfocsued.
Again no idea what your "focus / stacking issues are"

> * Silly things like the fact that you need to drag to get rid of the
> screensaver/blanker thing - Individually, this isn't *that* important, and
> there's already a BZ for it, but no one seems rushing to fix it. I can't
> think of a single case where a non-touchscreen user would WANT that
> functionality, but there still doesn't appear to be a way to rid yourself of
> it

You do *not* need to drag it. You can just type you password. Or hit
ESC or press Enter.
Maybe it is not clear enough that you can do that though.