Developer focus for Fedora workstation

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Fri Aug 15 14:02:11 UTC 2014

Adam Batkin píše v Pá 15. 08. 2014 v 08:19 -0400:
> > GNOME works really well with a keyboard only. You can start and switch
> > apps very easily with the keyboard
> > "super + typepartofname + enter" ...
>
> Isn't that for launching a new instance of an app?
>
> I often have 2 or 3 windows that I'm actively working with. That's a
> small enough number that my brain is able to remember where they are in
> the stacking order so Alt+Tab works nicely for switching. Actually
> Alt+Tab works pretty well with the alternate-tab extension. Except that
> closing windows, launching of new windows and switching virtual desktops
> seems to throw everything off.

I use Alt+Tab only for frequent switching between two apps. For
everything else, especially for such a small number of windows as 3 I
use "Super" key to get to the Activities overview and then I use arrow
keys to navigate between windows. No mouse needed and it's pretty quick.
Closing window: Ctrl+Q
Launching a new window of e.g. Nautilus: "Super"-> typing "nau" -> Ctrl
+Enter

There are also tons of extensions that provide different ways to launch
and switch between apps such as binding shortcuts to certains apps, but
IMHO it's for niche use cases, not really something we need to include
in default installation.