Developer focus for Fedora workstation

Adam Batkin adam at batkin.net
Mon Aug 18 04:20:54 UTC 2014

On 08/17/2014 11:05 PM, Alex G.S. wrote:
> It's clear that there are some different viewpoints about what should
> happen.  But like I've been saying without independent data this
> discussion is pointless. Until the Workstation WG is willing to engage
> in exhaustive market research and user-surveys we will talk in circles.

Okay. Like I said, count me in. How do we do that? I certainly don't
have any contacts to do any of the things you suggested. I can sample a
half dozen people who use Macs as their primary development platform,
but that's a different direction.

But for "Workstation", I think of "developer" not what Dell or HP would
call a "Workstation". There are millions of dev/ops people out there
with boring old hardware, and that's what I think we want to target.
They use lots of terminals, text editors, database tools, etc..Then they
bring their laptop home and watch Netflix and play Quake (or whatever).

> If the Workstation WG group intends on targeting developers using
> Windows and Mac OS X they have to take into consideration the fact that
> these developers are used to a very traditional workstation workflow and
> are unlikely to accept the alien and highly experimental desktop designs
> in use on Fedora today.

I agree 100%. I've been kinda beating around the bush in order to be
polite. To be honest, I'm used to (and pretty happy with) XFCE, but I'm
forcing myself to use Gnome since that's the direction we're (Fedora)
trying to head in, and I know that everything will be supported better.
The less customization I have to do to be happy, the better. And I
suspect that I'm not alone. Gnome (with default theme) will ensure that
all widget toolkits are themed the same, that HiDPI will work if I ever
get fancy new screens, that I have the latest-and-greatest things like
NetworkManager and in general it's better tested (under Fedora).

-Adam Batkin