Developer focus for Fedora workstation

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 19 15:34:57 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 04:37:23AM -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:
> I don't think this is true. My laptop doesn't have a high-resolution monitor and
> Adwaita works well. That said with the move to Headerbars there amount
> of wasted space should become tiny:
> http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014/01/13/client-side-decorations-continued/

Some of this is a matter of preference. On my 1366x768 travel laptop, the
vertical whitespace used on those headerbars is a lot more than I'd put up
with if I had the choice: I'd squeeze the bar down to the height of the
buttons, and the buttons themselves to much closer to the height of the text
and icons they contain.  Those icons/text look to be about 12 pixels high,
and the entire bar 48 pixels high — 4× what is necessary.

On a monitor with lots of space, this looks nice. On a constrained display,
it feels wasteful — even if the minimal version would be uglier and harder
to get used to, it would be nice to have as an option.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>