Developer focus for Fedora workstation

Adam Batkin adam at batkin.net
Thu Aug 21 00:13:17 UTC 2014

On 08/20/2014 06:49 PM, drago01 wrote:
> No. The biggest competitor is not Mac but Windows it dies not only have
> a way bigger marketshare but also trys to support  a wide range of
> hardware (like us) the only difference is that is has better support
> form hardware vendors. This becomes even more true if you include the
> non US market. So stop focusing to much on Apple there are other
> (bigger) competitors out there.

Is Windows really our competition?

I see Windows in "Microsoft shops" (i.e. Windows servers) and in
"corporate" environments where I don't think Linux (or Mac) has a chance.

The Fedora Workstation PRD defines 4 specific cases (Student,
Independent Developer, Small Company Developer and Developer in a Large
Organization) and I would wager that for cases 1, 2 and 3 the
competition is largely Mac and to a smaller extent, Ubuntu.

Still, I think most of what I've been throwing out there is applicable
whether the "competition" is Mac, Windows or Raspberry Pi.

People (rightfully) spend a lot of time comparing with Mac because Mac
has risen very quickly from almost non-existence to a disproportionate
percentage of the developer community. So what did Apple do correctly to
attract so many developers (most of whom are deploying to Linux) that
perhaps we can improve upon, to bring them back, or bring new people in?

-Adam Batkin