Removing firewall-config from the default install of Fedora Workstation

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 21 19:03:37 UTC 2014

Hello.

I propose we remove firewall-config (the graphical firewall configuration
utility) from the default install of Fedora Workstation.
Rationale:

* The default Workstation zone file allows incoming connection to non-root
ports. This means most of the common usecases will "just work" out of the
box. Thus, most users will not need to touch their Firewall settings.

* People who do need it will be able to install it from GNOME Software
quite easily. Just search for "Firewall". There will be no confusion as
this is the only firewall configuration tool shown in GNOME Software.

* In general, we should avoid having app launchers for things that are
configuration utilities in the default install.

Unless there's major objection to this change in the following few days,
I'll remove it from the gnome-desktop group in comps.

Thanks,
--
-Elad Alfassa.