Removing firewall-config from the default install of Fedora Workstation

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 21 19:11:29 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Elad Alfassa <elad at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I propose we remove firewall-config (the graphical firewall configuration
> utility) from the default install of Fedora Workstation.
> Rationale:
>
> * The default Workstation zone file allows incoming connection to non-root
> ports. This means most of the common usecases will "just work" out of the
> box. Thus, most users will not need to touch their Firewall settings.
>
> * People who do need it will be able to install it from GNOME Software quite
> easily. Just search for "Firewall". There will be no confusion as this is
> the only firewall configuration tool shown in GNOME Software.
>
> * In general, we should avoid having app launchers for things that are
> configuration utilities in the default install.
>
> Unless there's major objection to this change in the following few days,
> I'll remove it from the gnome-desktop group in comps.

I object for now.  I'd like to hear more from Matthias, Christian, and
the firewalld contributors first.  We already discussed this a while
ago and there has been work to make it more Workstation appropriate.
I don't think we should remove it without consensus from everyone that
has already been discussing this.

josh