Developer focus for Fedora workstation

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Aug 21 22:34:28 UTC 2014

On Aug 21, 2014, at 4:17 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> There are a number of QA testers who predominately use VirtualBox for testing Fedora; and they (including me) tick a box in a test matrix to indicate whether a particular test has passed or failed. The suggestion that VirtualBox bugs shouldn't block, but tests that base in VirtualBox should be accepted is a contradiction. Yes thank you I'll take the good result, but the bad result doesn't matter.

Wow ick. Redo: The suggestion that passing tests are accepted as valid, but failing tests are invalid just because the test was done in VirtualBox, is a contradiction.

To be consistent, we'd have to say, ultimately no tests for release candidates can be done in VirtualBox because we can't be certain the passing tests are in fact passing or if it's just a VirtualBox thing.

And if we do that, I guarantee you QA will take an efficiency hit because significant minority of the test matrix is filled out by virtualbox users. Sometimes Andre Robatino fills out a majority of a particular test matrix because he's a testing mad man, and he overwhelmingly depends on virtualbox to do the testing. So if all of those tests are going to be rejected, now what? Who's volunteering to pick up the slack? Excuse me, what 6 people are volunteering, because as I said he's a testing mad man and those are big shoes to fill.

So just… seriously the whole "you virualbox users are on your own" attitude is distinctly not a warm fuzzy.

Chris Murphy