Removing firewall-config from the default install of Fedora Workstation

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 22 14:57:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> Thanks, that is the feature/bug I was remembering.  So it's in 3.14
> already under the Sharing settings.
>
> What is unclear to me is if a dialog pops up when a network change is
> detected, or if there is no dialog does it default to off for a new
> network?  (Apologies, I don't have a separate network to test at the
> moment).
>
> josh
> --

No, there's no such dialog.
The network panel allows you to manually select a firewall zone if you
click the cogwheel.

What we do have is per network sharing settings. When you enable any kind
of sharing you can select on which networks you want to enable sharing. If
you do that and connect to a network in which you did not enable sharing
your stuff will not be shared. Also to add remote shares you must
explicitly do so in the Online Accounts panel, so you won't see random
videos in your video library if you're connecting to a coffee shop wifi,
but (in theory) you will see the videos shared by another computer you have
at home.

--
-Elad Alfassa.