inbound SSH allowed for default install of Fedora Workstation?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sat Aug 23 15:05:26 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 09:52:11AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Our understanding is that client and server development WILL work out of
> the box, unlike F20. The goal is that very few users ever need to
> configure the firewall. Our configuration can be seen at [1] and it
> looks sufficiently permissive to me. (Is there something else we need to
> address?) Whereas in F20 I spent much frustrating time trying to figure
> out why my network programs worked on other Linuxes but not Fedora, in
> F21 everything should just work, unless you're trying to use a system
> port. I frankly cannot think of any reason I would ever want to open
> firewall-config.
>
> Michael
>
> [1]
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/firewalld.git/tree/FedoraWorkstation.xml

Why is SSH in this list?  Is it a common thing for a developer,
student, or hobbyist to want to connect back INTO their workstation
from a remote location?  If so, is it common that they'd want a CLI
session vs. a full graphical session (Remote Desktop)?

I don't think it is obvious to some of these audiences that the local
account login password also allows remote access.  I see people set a
simple password for a "throwaway" or "test" laptop for example, but
unfortunately this exposes them to being hacked via SSH.

Or is the SSH service shipped turned off by default in Fedora
Workstation?