Removing firewall-config from the default install of Fedora Workstation

Liam liam.bulkley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 01:00:51 UTC 2014

Hi Michael,

On Aug 24, 2014 5:03 PM, "Michael Catanzaro" <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-08-24 at 16:38 -0400, Liam wrote:
> > Personally, I've never had to adjust the firewall for (web)development
> > reasons, but for personal use I most certainly have
>
> Why did you need to adjust your firewall settings?

DLNA transcoding server called BubbleUPNP needed internet access.

>Are you sure that
> would still be required given the permissive default configuration in
> F21?

No idea. I'm not running f21, but the port numbers were above 1024 so my
guess is yes.

> > (and being able to type in firewall, and having it popup, AND knowing
> > it's the tool that should work, unlike installing random firewall app
> > X, is a nice feeling).
>
> I'll take that one step further: to whatever extent we identify firewall
> configuration to be necessary -- hopefully not at all -- we need to get
> that configuration into System Settings.

I agree completely but System Settings are verboten save for blessed
configuration tools. We also need a way to adjust fonts without tweak tool,
but I thought that too was a no-go.

Best/Liam