Image viewer applications

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 26 14:50:59 UTC 2014

On 08/26/2014 10:27 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> A couple of things:
> - We used shotwell's viewer, not shotwell by default. It's a different mode of
>    the same binary, but it's not shotwell itself.

[...]

> Personally, I'd keep it as-is for now, and remove both Shotwell (and its viewer) and eog from
> the default installation once gnome-photos can be installed by default.

For whatever it's worth, I'm a very heavy user of this type of
functionality, and I always replace Shotwell viewer with eog as one of
the first post-install things to do. Shotwell viewer takes too long to
load initially and also going from photo to photo in a dir, and it seems
to be crash prone (or at least, it's freezing or blocking while it loads.)

The primary use case I have is flipping through directories of sometimes
hundreds of images/assets trying to find either a specific targeted one
or just to feel through them to see if an appropriate image is in the
location (sometimes locally, sometimes on a remote server or mounted NFS
share, sometimes on external hw - a friend's SDcard or USB hdd at an
event or my phone via USB.) Photo managers don't work for this use case
because I'm going thru photos from a shared pool or mounted external
devices. Wider context is putting together corporate presentations and
trying to find appropriate images / diagrams for particular slides, or
putting together brochures / web page designs / blog post reports etc
and going thru others' photos of events (say FUDcon or GUADEC or
whatever) to find good content to snag.

Whether or not shotwell viewer remains the default, I'm perfectly
comfortable switching it on each install; maybe I'm too power user to be
helpful here. I just worry that going thru large photosets is more and
more common and the initial experience of Shotwell viewer's slowness
gives an overall impression of an unresponsive desktop.

~m