Image viewer applications

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 26 15:11:32 UTC 2014

Hi Matthias,

On 08/26/2014 10:56 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Do you use eog's collection view for this, or do you mean that you use
> nautilus for the directory view, and just launch eog for individual
> images ? The latter is what I do, I find the collection view pretty much
> unusable.

The latter for sure. I launch it via nautilus (double-click on first
image of interest) for individual images and page through them using the
"previous" and "next" buttons in the upper left corner. That lets me
"scroll through" the images image-by-image very quickly. I only like
having one eog window open to do this. I don't use the collection view
at all - I don't know if I've customized it to this or not, but I
basically have just the File menu at the top and then the toolbar
visible, and I have everything else turned off.

I usually start with the first image in the directory because - again -
I'm working with remote or external images and thumbs aren't usually
available for these (maybe I'm too impatient to wait for them to "come
in" or they are turned off by default for these, I'm not sure.)

Another problem with Shotwell viewer besides the slowness is that the
previous/next buttons don't always work to go through a large set and
they are greyed out - I don't know why - i think it's dependent on how
it's launched (via nautilus vs via firefox downloads pane or file roller
bringing me to the dir or something like that.) eog seems to work more
reliably across different scenarios on that front.

Just poking between the two right now the controls in Shotwell viewer
are also kind of more geared towards editing while eog more geared
towards viewing. Shotwell's are on the bottom, a bit jarring when coming
from nautilus or firefox where controls are aligned along top. Again,
just FWIW.

I just overall have this impression of eog being faster / less freezy
and the back and forward buttons not greying out for my use cases. I can
try to be more mindful of my 'in situ' interactions with it over the
week and takes notes and report back at the end of the week if it'd be
helpful.

~m