Image viewer applications

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 26 16:23:19 UTC 2014

On 08/26/2014 11:21 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> I can understand the use case, and gnome-photos could be the one to allow you
> doing that, it's just that it doesn't yet. Given the use case, I would think that
> Sushi could also be doing that job[1].

[..]

> [1]: the preview in OSX, on which Sushi is based, will keep the keyboard focus
> on the file manager window, so you'd switch to another thing to preview the same
> way you'd select the next item if the preview wasn't there.

On F20 with GNOME 3.12 for my use case sushi is a no-go:

1) browse to image dir in nautilus
2) hit spacebar on first image
3) image preview comes up
4) keyboard focus is not on nautilus, it's on sushi
5) hit arrow keys; nothing
6) explicitly click on to nautilus window and hit arrow keys; other
images are getting highlighted but sushi isn't not responding with
updated preview

The other no-go issue here is that the sushi preview by default is
small. I see that it's one click to full screen, but there are no
controls there, no way to navigate to other photos, and no way to open
up photo in another app (gimp, inkscape, etc.)

The only way I can see to potentially get close to my workflow is to hit
spacebar to view, spacebar to close, arrow over, space bar to view,
spacebar to close - but this is at least twice the number of keypresses
and time as my current eog workflow. And it doesn't work when i want to
view the images at a higher resolution (right now on my 2560x1440
monitor it looks like it's 1024x768 or smaller) and I hit the fullscreen
button to do that, when i hit spacebar to dismiss and open up next
image, it doesn't remember that i want full screen and reopens in the
smaller (1/9 of screen) view.

So for my workflow, unless I am missing something about using sushi (i
searched around a lot and the only instruction i could find reading thru
the 5 most useful looking hits were 'hit spacebar') this is a step back
from shotwell viewer.

~m