Image viewer applications

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 20:55:07 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:49 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 08/26/2014 09:54 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 01:10 -0400, Liam wrote:
>>>
>>> What's the use case? What functionality are the target users expecting
>>> from an image viewer? My experience is I only ever use such apps for
>>> rather quick assessments of images. For more than that I open a
>>> dedicated editor.
>>> Does a image viewer need to do more than just show an image (possibly
>>> along with metadata)?
>>

>> With eog you can look at multiple images in multiple windows. I guess
>> sushi could do this too but you'd need to open a new nautilus window
>> each time. Then don't ever hit space.
>

> Just out of curiosity (and I hope this doesn't drag the thread somewhere
> unuseful, if so I continue further off-list) -
>
> What's the context for multiple images in multiple windows? Are you doing
> comparison work? Something else? Is it a very frequent use case?

For me two things:

1) Yes comparison ... lets say you took a few photographs and want to pick one.
While flicking between images helps sometimes you'd want to see them
side by side.

2) Different context ... I am viewing image x on workspace 1 that has
something to do with the task on that specific workspace ... if I for
whatever reason view an image on a different workspace (different task
/ context) I don't want to replace the already opened unrelated one ..
that'd be just inconvenient.