Image viewer applications

Allan Day allanpday at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:25:59 UTC 2014

Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:
> So my questions would be:
> - Is gnome-photos going to have a "display/preview" mode, that doesn't import in the
>   library? Something that's fast enough to launch for multiple images? Can we yield on
>   that?
> - Is gnome-documents going to get similar support for opening PDFs/etc. without opening them
>   (but giving the opportunity to add them to the "library")?
> - Should we remove evince from the default installation then?

The plan, I think, is to extend Nautilus's preview functionality to
the point where standalone viewing apps (eog, evince) are no longer
required in the default install. However, while there is the
possibility of this happening at some point in the future, we don't
have a clear time frame for when it might land. It might not happen in
time for F22, in other words.

Allan