Image viewer applications

Liam liam.bulkley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 00:04:36 UTC 2014

Sent from mYphone
On Aug 27, 2014 9:26 AM, "Allan Day" <allanpday at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:
> > So my questions would be:
> > - Is gnome-photos going to have a "display/preview" mode, that doesn't
import in the
> >   library? Something that's fast enough to launch for multiple images?
Can we yield on
> >   that?
> > - Is gnome-documents going to get similar support for opening PDFs/etc.
without opening them
> >   (but giving the opportunity to add them to the "library")?
> > - Should we remove evince from the default installation then?
>
> The plan, I think, is to extend Nautilus's preview functionality to
> the point where standalone viewing apps (eog, evince) are no longer
> required in the default install. However, while there is the
> possibility of this happening at some point in the future, we don't
> have a clear time frame for when it might land. It might not happen in
> time for F22, in other words.

That's sounds tremendous, but I'd not heard of this initiative until now.
Is this documented somewhere? The File page on the wiki mentions a fast
previewer only.
Is someone actually doing this work? Is there but in from the Nautilus devs?
How is discoverability handled?