Default Empty Document template?

Richard Turner rjt at zygous.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 06:00:33 UTC 2014

On 29 Aug 2014 01:13, "Michael Catanzaro" <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The first thing I do after installing Fedora is open gedit and save an
> empty file named Empty Document into ~/Templates.  This is the magic
> incantation required to add a context menu entry to nautilus for
> creating new files.
>
> Not many users will be able to figure this out, but it seems like
> something that many will want.  I propose adding it to /etc/skel so that
> it gets created by default for new users. Thoughts?

One of the first things I do is delete the Templates directory. I don't
ever use it, and would never create a new file by using a context menu
entry in Nautilus.

I don't see much value in an empty document template (or an empty
~/Templates), but could be swayed by a good selection of real document
templates, e.g. a variety of useful LibreOffice templates, or a good
selection of templates for Perl/Ruby/Python/PHP scripts...

The Templates dir magic is hard to discover, so we should probably do
something about that: either drop it or populate it.

"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."