Gnome 3.14 on a touch screen tablet

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 15:00:44 UTC 2014

Hi,

I managed to get my hands on a touch screen tablet. It's an Asus
something (fpaste --sysinfo here[1]). It came with windows 8
preinstalled, so I assume it supports multitouch. I installed Gnome 3.14
from one of the nightly images to see how well it works on it. It's now
completely up to date with the F21 package set. Here are my findings
(I'll file bugs when I find time. I'll also update the test page when
I've filed my bugs):

1. The on screen keyboard doesn't automatically come up on the tablet.
Is there a way to check if the system has a connected keyboard and bring
it up if one isn't found? I tapped on "Install Fedora" and when I had to
type in anaconda, the keyboard didn't come up. I had to quit anaconda,
go to settings, enable accessibility and the keyboard and then redo
anaconda.

2. Not all the gestures listed here work for me[2]. The page was listed
here on the test day page:
a. tapping works
b. press and hold worked in the dash, but it didn't bring up the right
click menu in nautilus. I haven't figured out how to bring it up yet.
c. drag for scrolling works
d. pinch to zoom didn't work in maps/shotwell. Worked in eog.
e. double tap didn't work in eog either
f. three finger pinch didn't bring up overview
g. four finger drag didn't switch workspaces
h. finger hold and tab didn't bring up the window switcher

3. The on screen keyboard doesn't work too well. At the moment, each key
I press is typed in twice somehow - even after rebooting. I had to plug
in a usb keyboard to complete the g-i-s configuration.

4. The on screen keyboard doesn't have arrow keys like any other touch
keyboard. This makes using the terminal just a little difficult since
you can't access the previous command that easily. Similarly, it doesn't
have ctrl alt etc., so restarting the shell if it gets stuck etc. or
bringing up the "looking glass" is a little difficult without a usb
keyboard. These aren't usual use cases, but maybe something like a
"developer mode" could enable these?

5. The tablet also had a stylus which we managed to lose. It therefore
recognises it as a wacom tablet. I clicked on "calibrate" and it brought
up a screen with circles in the centre and a cross hair. I couldn't
figure out how to get out of it. No gesture worked, not even alt f4 from
the USB keyboard. A "cancel" button somewhere would be nice. Also some
instructions on what one is supposed to do would help. I think you're
supposed to point the stylus at the cross hair, but I'm only guessing
here.

I have this tablet for another two weeks, and I'll be happy to test out
stuff if any one wants me to.

[1] http://paste.fedoraproject.org/129606/14093240/
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Gestures
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Gesture_Support