Release notes have a launcher - maybe we should remove that

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Sat Aug 30 16:51:38 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org>
wrote:

> Eh, I'm just picking my battles here. A Release Notes launcher that
> starts Firefox is not good and we should get rid of it, but it's not
> very bad either and if the release notes people want another cycle to
> rethink how to present the release notes, well why not let them have it?

I don't get what's there to re-think, tbh, we *already* link to them in the
website and we will continue to do so after the re-design as well. In fact,
it would even be more prominent because the new start.fpo design will have
a big "get help" link which would link to a help page which will include
all the resources the user would need to get help, *including*
documentation.

> Another thing we could do is add it as a default web app. GNOME Software
> requires "epiphany-runtime" which is all of Epiphany except the desktop
> file, so that it can install and remove web apps. Well, why not make the
> release notes a web app -- then the release notes team gets to keep the
> desktop launcher, and we are happy since it's a real application.

Because the release notes are *not* an app. Not a web app and not a normal
app. They are documentation.
 Web apps should conform with the same standards as regular apps.

--
-Elad Alfassa.