Bugs and RFE's for Fedora Workstation

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 17:09:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 12:34:58PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
> > With the creation of the 3 Fedora flavours, the process of tracking bugs and
> > RFE's for Fedora workstation is a lot more muddled than it already is.
> > Should this be something that we should focus on as a meta-task for the F22
> > release?
> >
> > Bugzilla currently tracks issues on a per-package (component in the Bugzilla
> > terminology ) basis, so some packages are used in all 3 flavours, but others
> > are more specific to Workstation (e.g. gnome-shell). And some of these have
> > a lot of bugs in the NEW status (gnome-shell has over 830).
> >
> > I'm not sure what the solution is here, but from a user point of view, the
> > experience for filing a bug, RFE or providing feedback for the workstation
> > is very confusing. IMHO, we shouldn't expect users to know what component
> > their bug is against, or if they should file a bug upstream or not.
> >
> > So i'm reaching out for thoughts / ideas on how to make this better.
>
> We have the Workstation trac instance.  For RFE's specific to
> workstation, people could file those there.  I know trac is horrible,
> but we have nothing better at the moment.  Package specific problems
> still likely belong in the per-package component in bugzilla though.

I have to agree with per-package BZ filing for now, even though BZ is
also horrible in its own way.  Also it could get confusing for users
to have different guidance scattered around Fedora docs and other
online resources.

I'm glad you reminded about the Trac.  On a separate but related note,
we could track WG agenda and tasks there, as I believe other WGs do.
That may cost a couple extra minutes for a task, but it can help with
accountability.

These are the current tickets, probably out of date:

https://fedorahosted.org/workstation/report/1

#7 - sync Spec package list with comps/kickstart - Seems done, Kalev?

#3 - KDE integration - This task needs to be more clearly spelled out,
     and it sounds like this is more about a higher-level Software
     installer discussion which we need to follow up on, right?

#4 - KDE variant of Adwaita theme - AIUI not done yet but in progress,
     per Matthias and Christian's comments in the last meeting.  We
     should probably reset the milestone for F22 Alpha.

#8 - On-demand socket activation for services - looks like a one-off
     request from twaugh, but AFAICT we missed this for F21 -- is that
     right?