Thoughts about Fedora 21 Desktop

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 13:15:07 UTC 2014

  On Tue, 2014-12-09 at 05:51 -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> A number of OSes default to having the first created user be the
> "Administrator", including OSX, Windows and, closer to our usage,
> Ubuntu.
>
> I don't think that defaulting to the first user being an admin is a
> problem for people installing multiple machines, as this would be
> something they would look for. I'd much rather force having an admin on
> the system and get rid of the root user as something you can log in as.

Well, that works if-and-only-if you are dealing with a predominately
single-user machine. In the case where you are managing users in a
FreeIPA or Active Directory domain, in many cases you won't really have
a "first user" on the system.

Now, an argument can be made for requiring that the domain policy is set
up to have appropriate admin privileges for certain users in the domain,
but that doesn't help if there's a bug in network connectivity or SSSD
that prevents that admin from being able to log in to fix things.

So I think a strong need remains for having a real root account on
systems that are domain-enabled.