Thoughts about Fedora 21 Desktop

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 14:26:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-12-09 at 08:38 -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> [...]

Well, not *necessarily*. First, a local admin account that isn't UID 0
could end up conflicting with a domain account, which is never good.
UID/GID 0 is the only specially-exempted pair from SSSD (so it will
never under any circumstances interfere with it). If we wanted to create
a account with rights similar to root, we might need to consider
reserving another special ID for that user.

But I suppose we're well into "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a
duck and looks like a duck, it's probably functionally equivalent to the
root user" here. Current technical considerations lead to a preference
towards using UID/GID 0 for this purpose (changing the name of root
would be entertaining...), but hey, "it's all code". Nothing is
permanently carved into a marble tablet.