Application is ready notification

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 19:04:16 UTC 2014

On 12/15/2014 01:55 PM, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone here knows of the design rationale for the
>> (seemingly intermittent to me) notification i get informing me that an
>> application window is ready for my attention.
>>
>> I seem to get these most when opening a file in the default application from
>> firefox, or opening an application from the terminal, or sometimes when
>> clicking on a notification from an application. In all cases when I see this
>> notification, I did want to see the application window to appear and get
>> focus.
>>
>> There is a shell extenstion available to turn off this application is ready
>> behaviour, which I do use, but IMO, this would be a useful default behaviour
>> to have turned on in Workstation.
>>
> Focus stealing prevention ... i.e you don't want the password you have
> been typing in a terminal to get into the chat app you just lanuched
> ;)
>
> For some cases it triggers even though it shouldn't in that cases some
> apps are broken (opening windows without or with wrong timestamps).
It seems that it triggers sometimes for some applications, and not for
others. From me as a user point of view, it is quite random if i am
going to get a notification that i have to click on or not. Is there any
pattern or reason as to when the notification shows up?

For example, i am getting it with geary when i click on the notification
telling me that a have gotten a new email, then i have to click the
"geary is ready" notification.

cheers,
ryanlerch