Feature Idea: provide a graphical way to upgrade to F22 workstation

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 16 19:32:15 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 02:14:59PM -0500, Ryan Lerch wrote:
>> I'm not 100% sure about it being in the Software app interface
>> itself. It might be kind of hard to keep it separate from updates in
>> the UI there -- especially for something that is only used once
>> every six months or so.
>
> I can see that. My main thinking is that Software already has "system
> updates" -- it'd be nice to get to the point where Fedora upgrades are
> "big system update!" from a users' perspective.
>
>> Maybe having an "upgrade" button in the details screen in the
>> control center,  and notifications when a newer version is available
>> will be enough.
>
> When a release is completely EOL, would it be possible to have a
> notification that is persistant in some way? Not necessarily in the
> shell chrome (too much?), but maybe whenever you go to Software. Or
> maybe "All Settings" -- could the Details icon change to show an alert,
> or gain a visual flag in some way?

I'm not a huge fan of this.  It reminds me greatly of the
notifications that e.g. McAfee continuously pops up on Windows when
your virus definitions are out of date.  Not without good reason (and
similar reasons), but really really annoying.  Some people will want
to stick with an EOL release for whatever reason and constantly
slapping them with an Alert warning is pointless.

I would suggest a very simple popup window that comes up at most twice
with a warning and a way to dismiss and then leaves the user alone.
It could possibly explain that it will disable the Fedora repositories
or something else so that the user doesn't install from EOL repos to
give further incentive to upgrade.

josh