Workstation WG Recap 2014-Dec-17

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 17:12:37 UTC 2014

Minutes:        http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2014-12-17/workstation.2014-12-17-16.00.html
Minutes (text): http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2014-12-17/workstation.2014-12-17-16.00.txt
Log:            http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2014-12-17/workstation.2014-12-17-16.00.log.txt

* * *
======================================
#fedora-meeting: Fedora Workstation WG
======================================

Meeting started by stickster at 16:00:18 UTC. The full logs are
available at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2014-12-17/workstation.2014-12-17-16.00.log.html
.

Meeting summary
---------------
* Roll call!  (stickster, 16:00:27)

* Surprise topic: F21  (stickster, 16:04:28)
  * F21 Workstation is out, it's awesome, and congrats to everyone. That
    is all.  (stickster, 16:05:47)

* Change proposals  (stickster, 16:06:12)
  * Current Change checkpoint is proposed for 2015-Jan-20, so about 2.5
    or 3 weeks after holiday  (stickster, 16:08:27)
  * ACTION: mclasen file gnome-shell + nautilus related changes
    (stickster, 16:11:45)
  * ACTION: stickster Put remaining Change items on agenda for
    2015-Jan-07 to check outlook for landing  (stickster, 16:12:16)
  * LINK: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/22/Schedule and
    https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointFifteen if anyone else wants to
    compare  (kalev, 16:14:47)
  * Current GNOME 3.16 schedule looks like a tight but workable fit for
    current Fedora 22 proposed schedule  (stickster, 16:15:24)
  * jwb points out that some upstream stuff will require Fedora-specific
    work outside the WG, e.g. app bundles  (stickster, 16:27:01)
  * Current big-picture, more Fedora-WS-oriented improvements: (1) app
    bundles (high effort, multi-release); (2) upgrade notifications
    (lower effort, maybe F22 doable)  (stickster, 16:45:25)
  * ACTION: mclasen dig up summary/details on current app bundles effort
    so we can understand state upstream  (stickster, 16:46:00)
  * ACTION: mclasen look for mockups for UI portion of upgrade
    notification (possibly execution?)  (stickster, 16:46:34)
  * For reference, a different implementation of upgrades:
    https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Migration  (stickster, 16:48:18)

* Resolving firewall question  (stickster, 16:49:32)
  * ACTION: stickster mclasen be around for FESCo meeting in ~1 hour if
    this topic comes up  (stickster, 17:03:58)
  * ACTION: stickster start discussion on desktop@ list toward a wiki
    page that covers our assumptions, problem statement, and our ideal
    Workstation approach for firewall  (stickster, 17:05:07)

* All other business  (stickster, 17:05:28)
  * ACTION: stickster Carry over bug triage topic for next meeting
    (stickster, 17:05:37)

Meeting ended at 17:07:25 UTC.

Action Items
------------
* mclasen file gnome-shell + nautilus related changes
* stickster Put remaining Change items on agenda for 2015-Jan-07 to
  check outlook for landing
* mclasen dig up summary/details on current app bundles effort so we can
  understand state upstream
* mclasen look for mockups for UI portion of upgrade notification
  (possibly execution?)
* stickster mclasen be around for FESCo meeting in ~1 hour if this topic
  comes up
* stickster start discussion on desktop@ list toward a wiki page that
  covers our assumptions, problem statement, and our ideal Workstation
  approach for firewall
* stickster Carry over bug triage topic for next meeting

Action Items, by person
-----------------------
* mclasen
  * mclasen file gnome-shell + nautilus related changes
  * mclasen dig up summary/details on current app bundles effort so we
    can understand state upstream
  * mclasen look for mockups for UI portion of upgrade notification
    (possibly execution?)
  * stickster mclasen be around for FESCo meeting in ~1 hour if this
    topic comes up
* stickster
  * stickster Put remaining Change items on agenda for 2015-Jan-07 to
    check outlook for landing
  * stickster mclasen be around for FESCo meeting in ~1 hour if this
    topic comes up
  * stickster start discussion on desktop@ list toward a wiki page that
    covers our assumptions, problem statement, and our ideal Workstation
    approach for firewall
  * stickster Carry over bug triage topic for next meeting
* **UNASSIGNED**
  * (none)

People Present (lines said)
---------------------------