Call for agenda for Workstation WG meeting 2014-Dec-17

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 17 22:56:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Your requests aren't bad at all, but they aren't new.  Everyone wants
>> btrfs because it was hyped as the filesystem of the future.
>
> tl;dr Those who want it, want it for the features, and much simpler
> access to those features. Not because of hype.

tl;dr I know all of that.  It still doesn't change the fact that the
features are tied to a filesystem that isn't actually read yet.  It
doesn't matter how simple it is to use if it doesn't actually keep
your data safe.

The other tools leave much to be desired.  That is largely a userspace
problem though, which can be corrected by writing better tools.  In
either case, it requires someone to pitch in and fix the issues,
either in the filesystem itself in the case of btrfs, or in the tools
around the other things.

josh