Underlying DE for the Workstation product

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 15:15:58 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 02/01/2014 09:31 AM, Dan Mashal wrote:
>>
>> I for one really don't think that third parties are going to now jump
>> at the opportunity to create software because we took Gnome and put a
>> sticker that says "workstation" on it. I'm sorry but I really just
>> don't see it happening.
>

> The products are about a lot more than just slapping superficial labels on
> things.

I do think there is an opportunity for the Workstation product to gain
traction it doesn't currently have as a result of this effort and I
certainly think Fedora use in the other product areas is virtually
certain to increase.

Now to get myself into trouble I would charactize the three new
products as spins on steroids chosen by the project as worth the
effort to focus attention on now. The overall effort goes well beyond
the three new products however and we do need to figure out some
things that I've not seen discussed that much to this point.

While the discussion about how we want to treat the existing spins has
begun I'm afraid it still isn't happening in places that are critical
to a good decision being made. The desktop spins are heavily used in
promoting Fedora and have been for years. The folks doing marketing
and the ambassadors working with end users at events really need to
have input on this.

Assuming some of those spins continue to exist for at least the short
term, that being until we have the new products in the wild and see
the reaction they generate, how are we going to market this stuff?
There will be an obvious desire to focus marketing effort on the new
products but there will be delicate questions about marketing the
other spins that in some way compete with our own featured products.
Probably the wrong list for this rambling but we need to start
thinking about this too if we haven't.

John