Underlying DE for the Workstation product

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 15:18:48 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi
>

> On 02/01/2014 09:31 AM, Dan Mashal wrote:
>>
>> I for one really don't think that third parties are going to now jump
>> at the opportunity to create software because we took Gnome and put a
>> sticker that says "workstation" on it. I'm sorry but I really just
>> don't see it happening.
>

> The products are about a lot more than just slapping superficial labels on
> things.
>
> Case in point, the workstation vs. the server:
>
> 1) Does it make sense for a server to have X and a desktop environment
> installed by default? Nope. Does it make sense for a desktop to have X and a
> desktop installed by default? Yes, that's the entire point!
>
> 2) Does it make sense for a desktop to ship out of the box with the SSH port
> open? Debatable. Does it make sense for a server to ship out of the box with
> SSH open? Yes! Does it make sense for a desktop to ship with the DLNA ports
> open? Yes! A lot of peripherals / media devices won't work with it OOTB
> otherwise. Does it make sense for a server to ship with the DLNA ports open?
> Nope!
>
> 3) Does it make sense for a server installation application to allow users
> to attach advanced storage devices such as iSCSI SANs and FCoE disks and
> mainframe DASD devices? Yes! Is anyone going to use a desktop with s390
> direct-attached storage? Probably NOT!
>
> 4) Does it makes sense for a server to ship with Gimp, a twitter client, and
> a PDF scanning application OOTB? Nope. Does it make sense for a desktop?
> Yep!
>
> Creating different products from the Fedora universe means that instead of
> different end user interest groups constantly arguing over policy decisions
> that only make sense for a subset of the end users, instead, we'll have
> focused products that have the freedom to make decisions in the best
> interest of their users.
>
> ~m
>
> p.s. Maybe some of my examples are wonky, or my
> probably-not-as-deep-as-yours technical opinion differs from yours. You get
> the point. I'm not going to respond to earnest, heartfealt critiques of why
> using DASD storage is critical for desktop users. That's not the point I'm
> making.

Thanks. Point taken.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 6:57 AM, Andreas Nilsson <lists at andreasn.se> wrote:
> What other issues apart from that do you think needs addressing?

Geez, way to put me on the spot here. :)

I would probably need to switch to Gnome and run it as a daily driver
to tell you (I run MATE). I will go ahead and do this on my desktop
and laptop for the next few weeks and try and come up with a list.

The only real thing I can think of right now really is to continue to
improve the Anaconda AI/UI.

- Detecing other OSes better for dual boot. I have seen quite a few
cases where a Windows installation gets broken after Fedora is
installed
- Another case would be someone installed Fedora with their Windows
drive disconnected and now wants to add Windows to the grub menu.
Maybe a wizard here would be nice that would update grub for the user.
- Making the partitioning process simpler. Add a few safe guards.
People have reported blowing away their partitions by accident.
- Adding a ton of tool tips to the UI. Try and predict what people are
thinking and try and answer their questions before they have one.

Besides that and really overhauling the rescue system you're looking
at mostly improvements needed to Gnome and it's applications in itself
IMO.

Dan