GNOME Classic? (was Re: Underlying DE for the Workstation product, Desktop -vs- Workstation)

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Sat Feb 1 23:55:42 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-02-01 at 23:08 +0200, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> Mate is about holding back and refusing to adapt to changes. Fedora is
> about moving forward as quickly as possible. Mate is incompatible with
> that by definition, and since the "workstation" product will be the
> main product of Fedora, it makes no sense to put a desktop like Mate
> in it by default.

Personally, I think the only serious alternative to GNOME is KDE.
Choosing a minor desktop to be the default would be a great way to
become a minor distro.

Anyway, a modest proposal: I suggest installing GNOME Classic by
default. GNOME Classic is a set of GNOME Shell extensions that are
officially supported by GNOME. I don't suggest using it as the default
session like RHEL is doing, but as an alternative that users could
choose in gdm without having to install it themselves.

If you haven't tried GNOME Classic, you can give it a shot in Fedora 19
or 20 by installing the package gnome-classic-session. The experience is
roughly halfway between GNOME 3 and MATE. It feels modern, looks a lot
better than MATE, and of course has all the same features as standard
GNOME, but users who prefer a traditional GNOME 2 desktop should
hopefully feel right at home.