Underlying DE for the Workstation product, Desktop -vs- Workstation

Alex GS alxgrtnstrngl at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 18:22:47 UTC 2014

liam.bulkley wrote:
---
With regards to Fedora we are quite constrained so we have to carefully
pick what we wish to pursue thus it makes most sense, to me, to make what
changes we can to G3 and upstream them if possible.
I think Gnome would benefit from an honest evaluation coming from those who
they feel they can trust but who aren't involved with Gnome on a normal
basis.
---

This is what I disagree with.  The Fedora Workstation WG should never
dictate design to the Gnome project.  Gnome 3 is first an independent
project and secondly perfectly suited for it's use-case a "mobile oriented
and integrated Desktop used by tech savvy consumers and forward thinking
business users". For this purpose I think Gnome 3 is excellent choice for
many types of users.  Fedora Workstation should stay out of Gnome's way and
allow them to go on the journey they need to go on.

That's why Mate is a wise choice as the Workstation default as it allows
for things to operate in parallel instead of getting Gnome's way and
telling them how to do their job.