Underlying DE for the Workstation product

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Feb 2 20:15:48 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 08:09:01PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 2 February 2014 19:57, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> > /boot is (on basically every Fedora system deployed so far) not FAT, so
> > if your bootloader doesn't read any other filesystems it's not going to
> > be able to boot a kernel.
>
> Is a FAT /boot such a bad thing? Is there a good reason why gummiboot
> only supports FAT and not something like ext2?

/boot has traditionally been a POSIX-style filesystem that supports
things like symlinks, so it's not unthinkable that changing it would
break some expectations. gummiboot only supports FAT because it only
uses the firmware's built-in filesystem code, and that's almost always
just FAT.

> > LoadImage() is problematic because Fedora
> > kernels aren't signed with a key that the firmware trusts, so the
> > firmware will refuse to load the kernel.
>
> So you have to load a new key before installing? Is this such a bad
> thing? Sorry for all the newbie questions.

There's no standard UI for installing new keys, and we can't hope to
document every UI that does exist, so we decided to adopt a solution
that doesn't require manual intervention for this.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org