Underlying DE for the Workstation product, Desktop -vs- Workstation

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 13:38:18 UTC 2014

On 3 February 2014 13:26, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Really why is the "workstation working group" dictating and decided that..
> a) it's an single product
> b) a single desktop environment
> c) which desktop environment it is

The reality is, what we've done for the last 19 releases isn't
working. People don't know what "Fedora" is. Ubuntu has done a much
better job of marketing themselves, and I'm sure it's no small amount
due to the lack of confusion about their brand and offering. At the
moment people wanting a Fedora desktop are shown this:
http://fedoraproject.org/en_GB/get-fedora#desktops which is confusing
as hell. All desktops that look somewhat similar with different subtle
architectural, cultural or package changes in each. Compare to
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop which clearly has one product. Ubuntu
still has a KDE version, it's just not called "Ubuntu KDE" and placed
with the same prominence as "Ubuntu
The-one-most-people-are-actually-using"

If people want to go and build Kedora or MATEora that's fine for me,
and probably makes sense to share infrastructure and base package
sets. To allow users to choose a "spin" for our workstation product?
Crazy.

Richard.