Underlying DE for the Workstation product, Desktop -vs- Workstation

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 13:49:10 UTC 2014

On 02/03/2014 01:38 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 3 February 2014 13:26, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Really why is the "workstation working group" dictating and decided that..
>> a) it's an single product
>> b) a single desktop environment
>> c) which desktop environment it is
> The reality is, what we've done for the last 19 releases isn't
> working. People don't know what "Fedora" is. Ubuntu has done a much
> better job of marketing themselves, and I'm sure it's no small amount
> due to the lack of confusion about their brand and offering. At the
> moment people wanting a Fedora desktop are shown this:
> http://fedoraproject.org/en_GB/get-fedora#desktops which is confusing
> as hell. All desktops that look somewhat similar with different subtle
> architectural, cultural or package changes in each. Compare to
> http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop which clearly has one product. Ubuntu
> still has a KDE version, it's just not called "Ubuntu KDE" and placed
> with the same prominence as "Ubuntu
> The-one-most-people-are-actually-using"
>
> If people want to go and build Kedora or MATEora that's fine for me,
> and probably makes sense to share infrastructure and base package
> sets. To allow users to choose a "spin" for our workstation product?
> Crazy.

I question that logic since...

A) People make choices everyday from the day the get up in the morning
to the time they go back to sleep.
B) People already are faced with the exact same question be it
application in a cloud, on a server or in a desktop environment
thunderbird vs evolution, totem vs vlc which is why for example you
yourself are working on a software center with an rating system so
people can chose what other people think what are the best/most popular
application that serve their needs.
C) Is the general end user which ubuntu is after the kind of end user we
seek since we are fundamentally a project that expect our user base
being able to contribute *back* to us, an feedback which we then deliver
upstream and the entire GNU/Linux ecosystem benefits from including us
when the result from that feedback get's delivered here downstream back
to us.

JBG