Underlying DE for the Workstation product

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Mon Feb 3 15:23:29 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Nobody in the Linux community got the resources that Microsoft or Apple does either,
yet here we are. And the reason we are looking at it is that even the technical workstation
users are going to be at least partly running laptops and will be looking for some
basic support. We are not looking at turning the system into a pure touch screen
experience, rather add some touch functionality where it makes sense.

> Red Hat and Fedora as well as similar platforms thrive in the more
> traditional desktop space and specifically workstations. If you walk into
> Pixar, NASA or CERN you'll find Fedora/RHEL on workstations and servers.
> Look at Ubuntu at Google or Facebook. If I call up any major OEM I can get
> workstations with two different operating systems: Windows 7 and RHEL. Not
> surprisingly the product is called Fedora Workstation.

I am well aware of this, I meet or call with a lot of these customers on a regular
basis. And I also spend time working with them to prepare their transition to
GNOME 3 as part of their RHEL 7 transition.

> There's a theme at play here that if you focus 100% on traditional
> workstations you can having a winning product that will even compete on
> equal footing against Mac OS and Windows.
>
> Linux distributions and desktop projects have been chasing the hybrid and
> tablet and it's had the effect of throwing their workstation users off of
> the bus. When Ubuntu and Fedora abandoned Gnome 2 and focused on Unity and
> Gnome 3 this caused major disruption and chaos. Around the same time many
> developers and engineers ended up going with Mac OS because Apple provided a
> conservative traditional desktop experience that was highly polished and
> professional.
>
> Last night I was looking at Gnome Shell extensions and I realized that most
> of them had the effect of turning Gnome 3 back into Gnome 2. The fact is
> that the community and specifically the workstation use-case is desperately
> seeking a Gnome 2 replacement that's why we have XFCE, LXDE and Cinnamon.
> This is why MATE exists and is rising in popularity. The Linux community
> still loves Gnome 2 and wants it back.
>
> This is why I propose a compromise that will work for both Gnome and Fedora
> Workstation:
>
> Have both Gnome 2 (MATE) and Gnome 3 (Gnome Shell) be parallel but related
> branches of the same Gnome product.

<SNIP>

I am generally negative to any such solutions as they tend to suck resources away from
advancing something over to trying to keep multiple options sorta working together.
Any solution one choose at any given point in time will have holes or missing functionality.
I don't think the best solution is ever to start filling those gaps with complete alternate solutions,
as they will just be bringing in their own set of holes and bugs and in the end you are not
moving forward anymore, you are just jumping around trying to avoid regressing and trying to
plug security issues.

Christian