Underlying DE for the Workstation product, Desktop -vs- Workstation

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Mon Feb 3 17:38:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 06:08:28PM +0100, David Tardon wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 02:52:18PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >
> > On 02/03/2014 02:32 PM, drago01 wrote:

> > >Both matter.
> >
> > I disagree and require further explanation from you since I question
> > the current thought of upstream role in downstream distributions
> > after exploring the communities surrounding both to better
> > understand the eco system of thoughts and the effects of those
> > thoughts that residing in both of them.
> >
> > The conclusion after that exploration of thought is that the role of
> > upstream in downstream distributions should be a role of an
> > consultant for upstream application or application stack him or her
> > is developing and if time allows become a co-maintainer for a
> > completely different application or application stack ( outside
> > their "comfort zone" ) then what he or she is developing in the
> > community for the distribution he or she uses.

Here is another argument against this, made by Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
"You do realize we are an distribution that represents "upstream" in the
larger GNU/Linux eco system and as such our "target users" are users
that participate and contribute *back* to the community ..."

It of course implies that the participation does not end at end users,
but that also maintainers should contribute upstream. IMHO having
upstream developers as maintainers fulfills that eminently.

D.