Underlying DE for the Workstation product, Desktop -vs- Workstation

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Mon Feb 3 17:22:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 04:15:53PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> On 02/03/2014 03:41 PM, drago01 wrote:
> Having an active upstream is what matters ( again irrelevant if that
> upstream is within the distribution itself or outside it )

Wrong. Having a working component is what matters. It is completely
irrelevant who makes that happen.

> Our contribution as an downstream distribution is to delivering that
> feed back we receive as well as package maintaining and integrating
> the component or stacks of components downstream here with us (
> which makes us not demanding anything for upstream ) is that
> successful beneficial relationship.

This is purely your opinion. I disagree totally.

> So if an upstream maintainer is in any other role then "consultant"
> within distribution(s) it becomes no longer successful beneficial
> relationship for anybody it becomes a distraction for everybody.

This is just your illusional "premise" reversed. It does not relate to
reality any more than the premise itself.

> Image how further the software center work could have gone if
> Richard would not have been distracted having to integrate it and
> dealing with ( to put it mildly ) less then perfectly maintained
> component with us ( as opposed to him be in the role of an
> consultant and say this is whats happening and this is what I would
> like you as an downstream distribution to do and then just continue
> work on upstream )

That he had to do it himself means there was noone sufficiently
interested to help. Why do you think that would have been otherwise had
he not participated at all?

> image how not so far or not so successful systemd
> had become if for example Kay and or Lennart would have been
> spending all their time migrating legacy sysv initscript to native
> systemd units in downstream distributions.

But they are not maintainers of all these packages in all these distros.
So this argument is off topic.

D.