Underlying DE for the Workstation product, Desktop -vs- Workstation

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Feb 3 21:15:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 22:07 +0100, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
> <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Where did I say that? Where did QA decide that they now longer want to
> >> test desktops?
> >> You seem to always talk about the whole QA community while in fact you
> >> are talking about yourself.
> >

> > I suggest you check meeting logs [...]
>
> Only references I found where:
> "jreznik from Base WG would like to arrange a meeting with other teams
> members to discuss the future processes" and
> "Project-wide, planning is blocking on Fedora.next until the WGs
> report to FESCo in January; this makes QA planning for Fedora 21
> mostly impossible until then"
>
> (Clicked through the summarys back to end of sep. 2013 ...)

There is certainly a resource question for QA: it's generally reasonable
to guess that the Products will want to define a minimum expected level
of quality and that the project as a whole will want the primary
products (that wording is a hedge against the possibility that we wind
up defining lots more Products - right now I'm assuming the three
currently-defined Products are 'primary' ones) to meet their minimum
requirements for a Fedora release to ship.

Right now we have fairly minimal requirements for the desktop and KDE
spins, and almost nothing for server or 'cloud' areas of the project, so
it's reasonable to assume the overall testing workload in a .next
universe will be higher than it is right now, and Johann is right to say
that, right now, 'QA' struggles to perform all the work that's
*currently* required.

So this certainly is an area of concern that will likely need to be
looked at and resolved. Johann is of the opinion that the way to do this
is for QA to test the base system and leave everything above that to the
products, but we have not decided anything like that yet: as the summary
note above says, we really can't plan much until the .next / Product
proposals take more concrete form. Especially, we need to know what the
Products think their minimum quality requirements will be, obviously.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey