Underlying DE for the Workstation product

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Tue Feb 4 01:04:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 12:22 -0500, Alex GS wrote:
> Gnome Shell is a feature/product/package focused on mobile interaction
> for hybrids and touch enabled devices including tablets.

GNOME (capitals please, same for MATE) is focused on desktop and laptop
computers, including laptops with touchscreens. GNOME has to support
touchscreens well because Windows has gone that route, and 90% of
laptops ship with Windows.

Tablets are a secondary concern because very, very few people are
running GNOME on tablets. They're basically touchscreen laptops without
keyboards, though, so I don't think they're much of a stretch.

Typically I associate the word mobile with phones, and nobody runs GNOME
on phones. A new startup, Endless Mobile, is trying to. I wish them
well, but I've yet to see reason to believe that will work well. (Which
is fine, since they're new.)

Anyway, it sounds like you're spot-on part of the target audience for
GNOME Classic. I'm sure the developers would be interested in feedback
on why that environment doesn't currently meet your needs, and how it
might be improved to do so.