Underlying DE for the Workstation product

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 18:54:35 UTC 2014

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 19:04:12 -0600, you wrote:

>On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 12:22 -0500, Alex GS wrote:
>> Gnome Shell is a feature/product/package focused on mobile interaction
>> for hybrids and touch enabled devices including tablets.
>
>GNOME (capitals please, same for MATE) is focused on desktop and laptop
>computers, including laptops with touchscreens. GNOME has to support
>touchscreens well because Windows has gone that route, and 90% of
>laptops ship with Windows.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Microsoft is backing up as fast as a large company can from touch
support on the base use case of Windows, and it wouldn't suprise me to
see touch screens disappear from laptops soon (ignoring the
laptop/tablet hybrids).  The Windows base has made it clear they don't
want Metro, and they aren't going to pay the extra for a touch screen
they never use.

The biggest shift that is coming is high DPI, that matters far more
than touch.