Underlying DE for the Fedora Workstation product, Meta-Desktop

Alexander GS alxgrtnstrngl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 22:33:34 UTC 2014

Just to clarify if the GNOME Meta-Desktop is implemented GNOME 3 and
GNOME 2 will just be two fully separate desktop interfaces and
experiences sitting on top of the same fully modern foundation called
GNOME Minimal which includes the technologies you mentioned.

MATE would be involved with as well as a major contributor to GNOME 2.
Because projects like MATE are usually low on resources this would be an
amazing platform for them. If you look at the proposal there's an SVG
image that shows MATE and GNOME 2 as having a direct connection.

https://wiki.gnome.org/AlexGS/GnomeMetaDesktop

At the same time MATE developers could maintain a separate community and
make it's own GNOME 2 spin and include it's own custom applications,
themes and branding for things like Linux Mint and it's other interests.