DE discussion summary

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 18:05:45 UTC 2014

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:02:08 +0000, you wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org>
>wrote:
>>
>> So, we really kind of need to settle on something and get started.
>>
>I find the idea that the long and historic relationship between GNOME
>and Fedora could turn around so quickly like that to be very strange -
>it's a bit like having a friend who suddenly meets someone else they
>find interesting, and maybe you get a polite wave when you're passing.
>
>You'd be left wondering what you did wrong...

The somewhat simple answer to that is the rather decisive GNOME Shell.

It was GNOME Shell that fractured the GNOME user community into GNOME
/ Cinnamon / Mate (and to a lesser extent other desktops that use GTK
like Xfce).

If GNOME 3 had been everything that it is but without GNOME Shell then
it is likely none of this would be occurring.