DE discussion summary

Alex GS alxgrtnstrngl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 01:07:21 UTC 2014

> I want to make an OS, not to read statistics all day. If you want to read
> statistics and conduct research, feel free to do it on your own time, and
> don't waste mine with meaningless messages to a public list.

I'm not on the Working Group, I don't work for Red Hat, it's not my job to
do research and analyze data, that's their job and nobody's doing it.
 Where's the data that backs up all of these decisions? That's all I'm
asking.  Nobody has even bothered to write a formal research report or even
reference reports from organizations like the IDC or even articles on
Wikipedia.  Google makes data driven decisions based on rational logic.  So
does Apple and their success shows this. Microsoft has made poor choices
because of internal politics and because they ignored the data.

> We chose GNOME because it's the most viable solution to this problem, it's
> not about friends or about pleasing people with money, it's about what
> makes sense to this project in terms of technology, stability, quality and
> manpower.

What you're saying is that Fedora Workstation is no different from any
other Linux desktop project. Walking randomly blindfolded on the basis of
pleasing one's friends.  It's obvious that the decision is highly emotional
and not a rationally well thought out one.  This has never worked for any
project.  You almost convinced me that Fedora.next and the "products"
approach would finally lead to a logical Linux desktop for Fedora.  But now
I'm no longer convinced.  In fact I'm now a skeptic of this process and
don't think it'll lead to meaningful and productive change.

The skeptics are right, Red Hat only cares about the server, the desktop is
just a byproduct...

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com