DE discussion summary

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 03:35:26 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 19:21 -0800, Dan Mashal wrote:
>
>> But why choose something mature? Why choose something in the actual
>> best interest of Fedora?
>
> Why do you think anyone involved *doesn't* want what's in the best
> interests of Fedora?
>
> Please read this note from the Debian init system dispute:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/msg00390.html
>
> because it applies pretty much verbatim to our little hoo-haa.

I wasn't really going for the "conspiracy theory" there. I have met a
lot of you at FUDcon and not only know better, but enjoy your company
and our discussions on IRC.

To take the analogy about the large ship that Debian is and use it here:

My point was is that there is a so much momentum to continue on the
path we're going that I find it nearly impossible to change course.

I know that everyone at Red Hat has their own opinion. I'm not wearing
a tin foil hat.

I'm just merely trying to point out some obvious facts here.

I'm so confident that this is SO NOT HAPPENING that I'll say that if
we decide to switch from Gnome 3 to MATE I'll buy everyone here a
Ferrari.

However, once again I do think the "choose your own adventure" route
is possible AND plausible. Other distros do it. Why can't Fedora?

Dan