The vision for the Fedora Workstation

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Wed Feb 12 14:57:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 06:23 -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> Find better examples (eg. ones that don't misinterpret e-mails I've personally
> sent and that you're twisting to try and make a point).

It was a terrible example, but he's really just saying "do not patch
GNOME unless truly necessary." I absolutely agree: a big part of what
makes Fedora arguably the #1 GNOME distro is that it rarely patches
GNOME (with the exception of fixes that are first committed upstream)
and almost never changes default settings. Arch and openSUSE follow the
same policy, and that's why they're often recommended as well. Other
distros start by adding minimize buttons, or desktop icons... I lose
interest in those distros real fast.