Question for the WG (and SIG) -- do you want to keep "Workstation"?

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 20:08:17 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I'm intentionally breaking the threading here since I think it's a top-level
> topic. The following is from Christian:
>
> I agree, and also, I think the direction has gone a little differently from
> what we were originally thinking about with the "Workstation" name. As I
> noted elsewhere, things going differently from my first thoughts is the
> process working. :)
>
> If there's going to be a name change, I think it's probably better somewhat
> sooner rather than later. It might be a good idea to talk with Fedora
> Marketing too. So... yeah. Open floor on this idea. Does "workstation"
> really convey what this product will be all about? What would be better?
> Plain old "Fedora Desktop" is still on the table, for sure. "Fedora Bob" is
> probably a bad idea....

Q: Do you want to keep Fedora Worksation?

A: No.

Q: Why?

I'm going to say this one more time. It is a really BAD idea to define
"Fedora Workstation" or "Fedora Desktop" as 1 single experience.

Yes, I know about the "vision". I guess you guys forgot that GTK+ can
run on multiple DEs.

Note: I do think Fedora Server and Fedora Cloud are absolutely GREAT ideas.

Dan