Question for the WG (and SIG) -- do you want to keep "Workstation"?

Emily Dirsh emichan at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 12 21:32:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy at gmail.com> wrote:

> to me Workstation conveys a machine that is destined to do some sort of
> work, or be used in the production of something.  My company laptop is my
> "Workstation" as I use it mainly for getting work done.  I don't use it for
> personal use (OK, --rarely-- use it for personal stuff), and I have a
> different work flow when using it.  However, on my personal machines, I
> refer to them as my "desktop" for my big box computer, and my "laptop" for
> my laptop.  Hardly any work gets done on these, save for personal "fun"
> stuff.
>
> In the essence of what Fedora Workstation is targeting, I would think that
> the name Workstation is best suited.  We are targeting Developers and
> Sysadmins who get work done, much like the work I do on my company laptop
> "workstation".

+1 to keeping workstation. I was a part of some of the relevant
conversations at Flock, and IIRC the intention at the time was that
workstation would be for users with workstation use cases: developers,
sysadmins, content creators, etc.

IMO the workstation PRD doesn't deviate from that significantly.