Drop nm-connection-editor?

Michel Alexandre Salim salimma at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 14 01:27:29 UTC 2014

On 02/14/2014 07:05 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

>> >It actually needs to be installed at least for first boot on non-GNOME
>> >systems because the new initial-setup is based on anaconda and genuinely
>> >depends on it. In theory we could safely remove it post-live install but
>> >pre-first boot*only for GNOME*, but at that point things are getting a
>> >bit special case-y.
> With F-20 as a pure gnome user I still resort to it more than I feel I
> should on my laptop with my use of VPN/wifi/3G/tethered/ethernet and
> other use cases. As adam points out it's still a dependency of
> install. I don't feel that it adds anything in terms of space and it's
> as useful tools like grep that I feel shouldn't be used. Shove it into
> sundry or somewhere it's not easily found but when stuff in some
> random place trying to get a network connection it's often too useful!

Likewise - there is no way to specify DNS search suffix in the Network
capplet, which means that I have to use nm-c-e to edit all my
work-related network connection profiles.

Keeping it installed by default would be nice. Of course, ideally you'd
be able to trigger it from within the Network capplet itself (with an
"Advanced" button maybe). Or not install it by default, the situation
gnome-tweak-tool finds itself in, but please don't hide it from the
GNOME menus.

Regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim