technical spec for the workstation up for review

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Feb 19 13:47:41 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> I've spent quite a bit of time last week on this document:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Technical_Specification
>
> It is not 100% complete, but I haven't found the time to get back to it
> since Friday, so I should probably open it up for a first round of
> review to the other WG member.
>
> Let me know what you think,

As mentioned in IRC, I don't think we want the "Firewall" item listed in there:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Technical_Specification#Firewall

firewalld is a Fedora-only, there's no generic API for application developers to use
(unless they only target Fedora), and its current implementation means that
it's near impossible to use simple things like Samba browsing, or browsing UPnP shares
with the default configuration.

I think we should reconsider not having a firewall by default, and providing firewalld
and a UI for it as an external installable system software. That reflects on its current
level of integration in the desktop.

I didn't see any sections about error reporting (abrt, SETroubleshoot, GNOME Oops![1]) or
SELinux enablement.

Cheers

[1]: https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Oops and
https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/ProblemReporting