technical spec for the workstation up for review

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Thu Feb 20 09:28:10 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

We don't need the application developer to intergrate with it. All we do is that
in the GNOME Shell/NetworkManager we ask a question the first time you connect to
a new network, something like 'Is this a trusted network?'. If the answer is yes
we put firewalld in trusted network mode for that network, and everytime the user connects
to that network afterwards we default to that trusted setting without asking again.
In this mode the firewall will let basically anything through.

For untrusted networks like conference wifi or internet cafes people choose 'not trusted'
and we use the current firewalld default.

These settings can then be toggled in the connection manager if you at any point want
a specific network to become trusted/untrusted.

This model is very simply (just 2 modes) and it gives our users some extra security when
connecting their laptops in public places, including protecting them from themselves in
terms of accidentally sharing their private photos and videos on a public network.
It should also be quite unobtrusive.

Christian